Monday, January 25, 2010

Thiebaud Gumball Machines



LEARNING TARGETS:
-Understand that printmaking can produce multiple copies of an image.
-Know that Thiebaud painted desserts, such as gumball machines.

TERMS:
-Printmaking: Using a plate (in this case, a stamp) to create images, often multiple images.
-Wayne Thiebaud: A Pop Artist most famous for his paintings of desserts.

MATERIALS:
8 1/2" X 11" white paper with a circle pretraced by the teacher (ice cream lid works perfectly)
Circle stamps (I bought wooden circles and small spindles at Jo-Ann and glued them together to make stamps with handles)
Paint in red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.
8 1/2" X 11" red paper
4" X 6" grey paper
Scissors
Glue/ Glue sticks
Paintbrushes
Pencils


We once again began with a PowerPoint, this time highlighting paintings by Wayne Thiebaud; focusing on his gumball machines. Next, demonstrated how to stamp the circles. I asked them to start with yellow and work their way to the darker colors. We talked about how the darker colors change the color of a lighter color and we don't want to have funny colored gumballs. In hindsight, I think I would just have a stamp and paintbrush for each color to eliminate the cleaning the stamp between each color (I had them wipe them with a papertowel). I also asked them to stamp 1-3 circles outside of the pencil circle for the gumballs that have been purchased in the final picture.



Next class, I passed out the paintings first and while they were cutting those out I passed out the red paper, gray paper, and glue. I showed them how to fold the red paper the "hot dog" way and make the red base of the machine by drawing a small horizontal line and then a long diagonal line to the top of the page. I also showed them how to trace the top of the circle (with it flipped over, in case they get pencil on it) to make the lid, and use the corner of the paper to make a rectangle. I showed them all the pieces, and layed it out how they should glue it down and then gave them time to work.


ASSESSMENT: In addition to circulating the classroom, looking for success and redirecting misguided students I review the completed works of art for use of all the colors in the gumballs, cutting and gluing skills, and craftsmanship.

No comments: