Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Heather Brown Landscapes

I'll admit, not all of these landscapes turned out this wonderful, but here are my favorites. If you want to see them all, click on the link for Willow's Artsonia site on the right.



They used Heather Brown as inspiration. I found two good videos online, one is an interview with Heather, and the other is a slideshow of her work set to the song from Lilo & Stitch. I told them they could take aspects of her paintings and combine them into a new image, but they could not simply copy a painting. They really loved her birds, and lots of kids included them in their work. They used Tempera paint, and I encouraged them to mix different shades of each color to add variety to their paintings. When everything was dry, they used Sharpie to create the bold outlines that Brown uses in her paintings. I think her work would also be a lot of fun to use as inspiration for a batik type project-she has at least one painting that uses white outlines instead of the typical black. The kids loved looking at her work, and thought it was pretty cool to watch a video of her talking about her life and work.

No comments: