Saturday, March 7, 2020

Value Mixing Projects

   Fourth grade is working on understanding how to mix value with paint. They've learned about hue, tint, tone, and shade and have chosen a project to demonstrate their learning with. Luckily, our fourth graders have Chromebooks, so we use Google Classroom and I put all of the resources linked in this post on their GC for them to teach themselves how to create the projects while I circulated and talked with them to gauge understanding and assist where needed. They had three projects prepared for them, and a slide of other ideas in case they didn't like any of the prepared projects or wanted to challenge themselves more.


   I began with this presentation about value, hue, tint, tone, and shade and how to mix each value. Then students logged into their Chromebook to begin the project of their choice. The first project we talked about is based on artist, James Rizzi and his cityscapes. They had access to this presentation of examples of Rizzi's cityscapes and this video of me creating my example project, which is hanging on the whiteboard in the art studio. They were told that each building should be monochromatic and use the hue, tints, tones, and shades of the color chosen for the building.






   The next project, shown above with the image that inspired me and my example from the video, is value chevrons. They have access to this video to show them how to create the chevrons and mix values to paint them.






   The final project that was prepared for them is the value pyramids shown above. The first image is what inspired me and the second is the example I created in this video for the students. 


   I have started this project with two of my four fourth grade classes because we didn't have specials on Friday for me to see the other two. So far I am happy with the students' progress overall and am looking forward to seeing how these projects turn out. 

No comments: