Saturday, March 20, 2010

Embossed Rose Windows

LEARNING TARGETS:
-Demonstrate understanding of radial design.
-Experience using a design sheet to plan the project out.

TERMS:
-Radial Design:A pattern that repeats in a circular pattern, working its way from the center of the circle to the outer edge.
-Symmetry: The image is the same on both sides; such as a mirror image.
-Embossed: The method of pressing metal to create raised and lowered aspects in the work of art.
-Rose Windows: Circular stained glass windows most commonly found in cathedrals.


MATERIALS:
Metal Tooling
Tooling Tools
Newspaper
Sharpie or other Permanent Markers
Scissors
Glue
Black Paper, 8"X8"
Design Sheets (Circle drawn with eight equal triangles)
Pencils
Colored Pencils (optional)

We began by looking at a PowerPoint with many examples of Rose Windows. We talked about radial design and symmetry. I pointed out that the windows vary in how elaborate they are. Next, students were asked to create a pattern on a design sheet. I told them if they didn't like their first idea, try something different in the next triangle. They could use as many design sheets as needed, but their final sheet should have at least three triangles in a row of the design they like so they can see how the shapes flow from one triangle to the next. I asked them to plan out their colors with colored pencils on their design sheets as well. The permenant markers won't come off the metal, so I wanted them to have an idea of their color goals before they got to that step.


When their design sheet is complete, they were given a piece of metal tooling and shown how to place their design sheet on top of the tooling, with a thick pile of newspaper under the metal. A tooling tool (sharpened stick) was used to trace over the circle and the straight lines that made up the triangles within the circle. Next, I asked them to cut out the triangle that they thought they drew the best. That triangle was taped to the metal and traced. Then it was moved to the next triangle and traced again. They repeated this step until all eight triangles are traced onto the metal, completing their radial design.


Now the fun begins! I showed the students how to use the back of the stick to press the metal until the shape is popping out. I stressed that they must have a thick pile of newspaper under the metal, or it wouldn't work properly. I also asked them to pop the same shape(s) out on every triangle.


Finally, when they are satisfied with their embossing, studesnts should color their project with permanent markers. Last, they cut their circles out and glued them to a piece of black construction paper. When displayed together, this project is very eye catching!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea! I wonder if it could be done with pie plates if you are on a tight budget??? I love your blog and did I read you are a first year teacher? Fabulous work!

Jodi said...

Thanks! Let me know if the pie tins work, that's a great idea! I'm actually in my 5th year of teaching, but am new to this district.

Mrs. Skojec said...

I love this one! I can't wait to try it! Thanks!